SHORT STORY & POETRY COMPETITION
Competition Terms & Conditions
Theme: What if...
H&F Writers’ Festival will only consider submissions from the Poetry and Short Stories genres. Whether it’s controversial or explicit, childish or colourful, our panel of readers and judges will undertake a comprehensive review.
What to send:
Your entry will be judged anonymously, so do not put your name on the text pages of your entry. Please include a separate cover page clearly marked with your name, age, email, the title of the work you are submitting and the word count.
- All entries must be received by 11:59PM on 31st MAY 2023.
- Submissions must be typed, double-spaced, on single-sided A4 sheets and in a readable, 12 point font and each page numbered.
- Submissions must be written in English and must be your own, original work.
- Short Story should be no more than 3,000 words
- Poems must not be longer than 30 lines.
- Up to Three poems and one story per person
- We welcome entries from all genders and nationalities. Entries are accepted from any person aged 5 and over.
- The Competition is open to different age ranges and will be clearly presented on competition materials and competition web pages.
Categories for entry are listed:
- 5 – 8 yrs.
- 9 – 12 yrs.
- 13 – 15 yrs. (Children)
- 16 & 17 yrs. (Young Adult)
- 18+ (Adult)
- Once submitted, no alterations may be made to your entry.
- Make sure you keep a copy of your work as your entry will not be returned to you.
- Your story can be submitted elsewhere, at the same time, but if your story then wins a prize or is published before final judging and announcement of winners, your entry will become ineligible.
- All entries must be sent electronically, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org You will receive an email confirmation of receipt of your entry.
- If you are making multiple entries to the same competition, please send each entry in a separate email.
- A panel of readers and judges will consider all entries anonymously. The judges’ decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Entries should be in English (or English dialect) and should not have been published or accepted for publication elsewhere.
- Entries that have won or are under consideration in other fiction competitions are not eligible.
- Entries should be original works and should not be a translation of another author’s work.
- Any plagiarised work will be disqualified.
- The members of the organising committee and the panel of readers are not eligible to enter the competition.
- All results are published on the H&F Writers Festival Website. Entrants will also be notified individually of competition results.
- Copyright of any H&F Writers’ competition entry remains with the author, but The WILDE Foundation reserves the unrestricted right to publish the winning and runner-up entries on its website and in any related material for PR purposes.
- Opportunity to win first prize, second and runner-up prizes.